Take a look at our most frequently asked questions shown below. The links below will take you to the section specific to your question.

If there are any further questions you would like to ask, talk to us online using our chat feature located towards the bottom left. Alternatively, you can telephone us on 0800 195 3750 or email our team at info@icsuk.com. If you would like to send ICS a quick message to request a callback, you can take advantage of filling out and submitting our online contact form and a member of our team will get in touch as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.

What is my employment status?
You are employed by ICS Umbrella. We enter into a legally binding contract with your agency or client. The contract states that we will supply them with the contractor with the necessary skills to satisfy the clients’ requirements. The agreed rate for the services performed is paid to ICS Umbrella over a predetermined time period. The agency or client has the option to choose to use a contractor rather than a permanent employee if they do not wish to assume the employment rights that are associated with permanent employees. ICS Umbrella assumes these obligations and employees you. Your status as a contractor is not affected and your working processes remain unaltered, and you will have the assurance that you are working in a completely compliant manner in line with current employment and financial legislation.

Do you provide reference letters for financial institutions?
Yes. We will provide reference letters to financial institutions free of charge.

Can I refer someone to ICS Umbrella?
Yes. We operate a referral reward scheme for anyone who recommends a colleague or friend who joins us. Please click here to refer.

How does the new legislation regarding Managed Service Companies (MSCs) affect me?
Since April 2007 the only legal way to receive dividends is through your own personal Limited Company, over which you must have complete financial and administrative control. You can be safe in knowledge that you are totally compliant as we pay through PAYE.

Do I need to be concerned about IR35?
No. All workers using an umbrella solution are deemed to be working within IR35 and as such you will not fall under IR35 rules. You will be paid via PAYE only and will not receive dividends in any form.

Am I protected from investigation by HMRC if I register with an umbrella company?
No company can offer you complete protection against HMRC investigation. ICS will only pay expenses to which you are legally entitled. If you have submitted an expense claim to which you are not entitled, HMRC could reclaim the tax underpayment and impose a large fine.

Can I claim expenses?
This will depend on whether you will be subject to (or to the right of) any supervision, direction and control (known as SDC) whilst working on your assignment. Speak with our New Business Team who can go through our questionnaire with you and answer any questions you may have.

Is there a limit to what I can claim each week?
No. However, it is best to claim receipts regularly rather than store them up. If we cannot pay all your expenses in one week the outstanding balance will carry over to the following week. We cannot carry over outstanding expenses between tax years, but these can be claimed from HMRC at the end of the year, for which we will provide you with a statement of expenses.

Will I need to keep receipts?
Yes. It is very important that you keep all your receipts for any expenses you claim, including fuel and subsistence receipts. Without copies of your receipts we are unable to process your expenses. If you claim expenses without a corresponding receipt you will be penalised by HMRC and will have to repay your tax underpayment, as well as any additional penalties imposed by HMRC.

What tax do I pay?
As a contractor using your own Limited company you will be liable to make PAYE, Employees and Employers National Insurance deductions. With ICS Umbrella, we will take care of all your VAT, PAYE and NI liabilities.

How do I know when I’ve been paid?
On the same day we process your payment, your payslip will be available to view. This will show the net figure being transferred to your account as well as the deductions made for PAYE and National Insurance. Any expenses processed will also be shown on the payslip. ICS Umbrella margin is also detailed.

Can I work on more than one assignment at the same time?
Yes, you can work on multiple assignments at the same time at no additional cost.

What do I do if I wish to leave you?
Once you have informed us you are leaving, we will collect all outstanding funds to make the final payment to your account. We will issue you your P45 immediately to give to your new employer, which will end the employment with us.

How do I register?
To register simply call us on our freephone telephone number 0800 195 3750. We will help you complete the application form in a matter of minutes and send you the details that you need to sign and return via email or text. We are happy to answer any questions that you may have.

What does ‘self billing’ mean?
A self billing agency is one with an arrangement between the agency or client in which they prepare the invoice and forward a copy to the Umbrella Company. As you enter your timesheet, the agency or client raises their own invoice to be billed each time a payment is made. Self billing removes the requirement to supply invoices, resulting in a more efficient payment process.

What happens at the end of the tax year?
If you are required to submit a tax return, we will provide you with a P60. We can arrange for your tax return to be completed. Please contact us for details.

Am I a Director or Shareholder of the company?
No, our employees are not directors or shareholders and they are not paid dividends. Instead we pay a salary to you.

How do I prove my earnings if I want to apply for a mortgage?
We can provide you with the necessary documentation and put you in touch with specialists who facilitate mortgages for contractors.

Can I get same day transfers?
Yes, same day transfers can be made on a Friday at no extra cost. Early payment requests may incur an extra charge.

I don’t have a current P45. What should I do?
If you do not have a P45, please ask us to send you a P46. HMRC will then advise us of your correct tax code.

What insurance does ICS Umbrella provide?
We have a comprehensive range of insurance in place to protect you and the business, including:

Employers’ Liability insurance up to £10,000,000
Public Liability insurance up to £5,000,000
Professional Indemnity insurance up to £5,000,000

How Do I Submit My Expenses And Timesheets?
It is imperative that you record your time spent on assignments on the timesheets provided by the agency or client. Dependent on your SDC status, expense claims chargeable to your agency or client are completed subject to their own processes. It is your responsibility to ensure that your timesheets and expense claims are approved and submitted according to the processes outlined in your assignment. Expense claims not chargeable to the agency or client are to be submitted by completing an ICS Umbrella Employee Expense form, as per the guidelines in our Expenses Policy. Please forward copies of all timesheets and expense claims to: Email: expenses@icsuk.com Fax: 0844 259 0028 Delays in submitting this information may lead to a delay in payment and/or receipt of cleared funds. We keep accurate records of all timesheets received. Please inform us of times you are not working to ensure that we can detect any potentially missing timesheets.

What Happens At The End Of My Assignment?
You may continue to use our Umbrella Company when you change assignments or restart after a break. Simply keep us up to date with your circumstances.

How Do I Get Started?
Our registration process is simple and can be done online or by phone. We will require the following information, preferably by fax, post or email attachment:

A completed ICS Umbrella Personal Details form
A copy of the photo pages of your passport
A copy of a valid work visa/permit (if applicable)
A P45 from your last employer or a P46

Upon receipt of these details we will contact your agency or client and request the issue of your contract to ICS Umbrella Ltd. We will send a copy of the contract to you for review before we sign it on your behalf. You will then receive a Contract of Employment with ICS Umbrella Ltd, which you will need to sign and return.

What is an Umbrella Company?
Umbrella Companies engage employees via an overarching contract of employment. This is a contract which provides continuous employment, regardless of whether the worker is working on an assignment with a client or not. Our umbrella company, ICS Umbrella provides a complete and professional employment for workers on temporary assignments. Our dedicated team of experts will process your timesheets and expenses*, invoice the client or agency and chase late payments, processing and transferring the payment to your personal account the same day. You will have direct access to your Payroll Administrator should you require help or advice. Your work will be covered by our comprehensive Professional Indemnity, as well as Public and Employers Liability Insurances. ICS Umbrella is fully compliant with all government regulations and legislation, including IR35. *subject to your SDC status.